One Wednesday night my dad called my mom and asked where she was. Then he said he had a little accident while cutting a tree stump and for her to hurry home. Luckily she was only a couple of miles away! When she got there he was sitting on the porch holding his pants leg around his thigh area. She thought he had gotten a little too excited when telling her about the accident but then he let his grip go and she saw the gash! My poor dad was cutting a stump and the chainsaw ricocheted off the stump and bumped into his thigh. He was holding the gash together to slow the bleeding. Mom loaded him up and off to the ER they went. This isn't dad's first time at our emergency room and he should know better than to go there. We have THE worse emergency room. People treat it like an after hour's doctor's office and you'll wait HOURS before being seen.
Anyway, they call to tell me what has happened but told me it wasnt serious and not to worry. However, I know my mother so I grabbed my purse and out the door I go. You see, my mom is a tough woman except when it comes to things like that. She tends to pass out so I knew she didn't need to be sitting there with him! I'm glad I went, too, because dad said she drove the 15+ miles to the ER with her face in front of the air vent peeping over the dash. Not comforting.
I'll skip the next few parts and hit the high-lights
1. Dad couldn't sit because it would stretch that area and bleed more
2. They kept telling dad to sit- see above.
3. We had to wait in line while some woman gave her information-- she was there becuase she had a stomach/headache. I was about to give her a headache. UGH.
4. I understand it isn't nice to cut in front of people, but my dad stood there sweating, pale as a ghost and bleeding while the woman was ON HER CELL instead of answering insurance questions.
5. I had a nice-leaning-over-the-counter converstaion with the lady at the check-in desk.
6. Triage went better and he was off to his room where we waited.
7. And waited.
8. And waited.
I wish I could tell you about our "adventure" but again, I'll do it in list format:
1. Every nurse he had was male. I found this odd.
2. Our "hospitality ambassador" was a fruitcake.
3. Nurse wasn't very friendly- he just dumped a COLD bottle of betodine on dad's gash- exposed nerves and all.
4. Dad didn't get any pain medication OR numbing medication until right before they stitched him up.
5. They picked out pieces of wood from the gash (see #4)
6. You could see the artery pumping, pumping, pumping
7. Different nurse came in - Michael... he was nice :)
8. Doctor was a fruitcake- almost gave dad a shot even though he wasn't sure what was in the syringe
9. Without warning the doctor stuck his finger in the gash and felt to see how bad the muscle was cut
10. 300lb dad came up and almost off the bed. Doctor was lucky to be alive.
From start to finish our ordeal was over three hours long!! They stitched dad up inside his leg (the muscle) then on the outside and sent us on our way!
| Chloe was worried about her "pappy" so I told him to smile for a picture! He was NOT drugged at this point. Just faking it! |
| Wonder what took SOOOOO long after we got to our room? |
| Dad up and ready to go. Thankfully DG is right down the road from the hospital. Dad wouldn't have had anything to wear! |
He just did it for the new clothes.
ReplyDelete;)